How do you test for phosphates?

There are 3 LFS's in town, and non of them have ever heard of a phosphate test
kit.  They pretty much just have many different test kits for pH, "hardness",
chlorine, nitrite, ammonia, and a few nitrate kits.  I'm being overrun with
algae, and I haven't even started adding clay to my substrate yet.

BTW, since I turned off the air bubbler in my aquarium, the plants have
started bubbling.  The O2 level is probably now higher without airation.  But
I gotta start being careful about water quality now because I got rid of much
of the biological filtration (a sponge filter) in the process.

regards,
bob