Steel Wool for a source of iron?

I have seen several people meantion that they put steel wool in their substrate
as a souce of FE.  I was wondering:
1)  what are the effects of excess FE in the water column
2)  could it be places in one of the baskets of my Fluval 303 or in the media
basket of my Emperor 400
3)  How much would you reccomend for a 70 gal heavilly planted tank
4)  whats a good FE test kit so if I decide to do this, I can both quantitativly
and qualitativly report the results
5)  any potential downfalls that I'm not taking into consideration?