Re: New Water Filter

>Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1998 11:03:17 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Jay Dike <jjdike at yahoo_com>
>Subject: Re: New Water Filter

> Adam writes:
>
> > I recently got a PUR water filter,  it is one of the half liter
> >  pitchers.  I was cynical when I saw this at first.  However, after
> >  putting water that comes out of the tap with a PH of 8-9 and have
it
> >  come out with a PH of 6.2 I have become a definate believer.
Does any
> >  one know what is in this thing? All it says is that it contains a
> >  "pleated microfiber"
>

>I remember testing water that been through a Brita filter (filter in a
>pitcher model).  My tap water has a pH > 7.6, ~1 dGH, and ~12-14 dKH
>(after going through an ion exchange water softener).  The pH went
>down to something like 6.2.  I don't remember the exact number but I
>remember it was a "large" change.
>
>As for a source of RO water, our local supermarkets have drinking
>water dispensers for 1 and 5 gallon containers.  The information on
>the machine claims the water goes through a 20 micron filter, a carbon
>filter, and a reverse osmosis unit.  The water goes for 25 cents/gal.
>I tested it and got pH ~6.2, 2-3 dKH, 2-3 dGH.
>==
>Jay Dike
>Livermore, CA

Either your dKH & dGH test kits are bad or the RO at the local supermarket is not very
good. A good RO unit should reduce the KH & GH by a factor of about 10. Perhaps someone
adjusted the unit to have less waste water at the expense of poorer product water.
Perhaps the water at your local supermarket starts out being very hard.

Of course the water can still be used in your aquarium and you only need to slightly
adjust the KH.  I believe most APDers recommend a KH around 3-4 to give you good pH
stability.

I don't understand why the pH would be around 6.2. I would of thought that
most pH test kits would give reading ph of about 7.2 for water with a 2-3 dKH,
once it has been siting around for several hours.  I thought that pH testers only give
inaccurate pH readings when the KH gets very low because the pH test solution interferes
with the tested water. (The pH test solution starts out being dark green/low pH?)
Maybe someone can comment on this?
Ron Wozniak  Allentown PA, USA
rjwozniak at lucent_com
AGA member