New Water Filter

I recently got a PUR water filter,  it is one of the half liter
pitchers.  I was cynical when I saw this at first.  However, after
putting water that comes out of the tap with a PH of 8-9 and have it
come out with a PH of 6.2 I have become a definate believer.  Does any
one know what is in this thing? All it says is that it contains a
"pleated microfiber"  an "ion exchange resin" and "activated carbon."
What is this "ion exchange resin"?  I'm guessing that this is what is
making it tick.  I'm not trying to plug the product, but am just
interested in applying whatever is at work here as a cheap alternative
to expensive water treatment gadgets and machines such as RO.

-Adam