Re: Good Lighting Sites

>Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 20:24:21 +0100
>From: "A M Moore" <andy at ascot_u-net.com>
>Subject: Good Lighting Sites
>
>Could someone point me to a site that will explain in some detail the latest
>in aquatic lighting systems. I need to learn about VHO systems.
>
>I know quite a bit about Metal Halide & standard T8 systems - I need to know
>the advantages of VHO.
>
>Tank is a 2 ft CUBE & I presently use a single Sodium (German made) plant
>bulb 125 Watt. How many VHO bulbs would I need to produce say 3 Watts/Gall &
>what`s the best running gear ? I hear the IceCap 660 would work well but I
>am unsure what wattage (VHO) are available & how efficient they are.
>
>Andy Moore  -  andy at ascot_u-net.com

At the risk of saying something you may have already considered, a 2 ft CUBE Tank
holds about 55 Gallons.  A 175 Watt Metal Halide bulb would have the ideal
watts/gallon & light intensity to punch through to the bottom of a heavy planted
tank.

Another possibility could be three 55 Watt Compact Fluorescent tubes, but expensive?
I would also think you would need too many short VHO tubes in order to get enough
that it would also be expensive light.

In any case, for your size tank all three of these light options would be expensive.
Ron Wozniak  Allentown PA, USA
rjwozniak at lucent_com
AGA member