Re: CO2, pH, KH and alkalinity - limitations

>You can only use the pH charts to estimate CO2 >concentration where the
>only contribution to alkalinity is from >carbonate/bicarbonate. If
there
>is peat, black water extract, wood, humins, >significant organic matter
>or soil, or other acids and bases in your tap water, >the charts are
not
>very accurate. Also, the CO2 test kits will also be >affected by those
>acids (and bases). If the KH is rather high and the >humins are fairly
>low, they can approximate it.

>IMHO, you are better off in those situations going >strictly by bubble
>count and by observing the daily pH fluctutations.

>Steve Pushak                              Vancouver, >BC, CANADA

Is this also true for the applicability of CO2 test kits and
pH,dKH,CO2 charts to water processed by an ion exchange water softener
(salt pellets)?  When you say bubble count and pH fluctuations may be
a better way of monitoring the CO2 situation, do you mean to add CO2
until the pH until it is to some predetermined level?  I don't think I
followed that part.

Thanks for the info!

Jay Dike