Re: Yeast food

>Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 21:40:42 EDT
>From: Zxcvbob at aol_com
>Subject: nitrogen source for DIY "yeast bottle" CO2
>
>Does anybody feed their yeast anything but sugar?  It seems like the
yeasties
>would need a source of nitrogen to build proteins.  Ammonia?  Ammonium
>phosphate?  potasium nitrate?  Cat pee?
>
>Seriously, I thought I might give mine a little dogfood.
>
>bob

Or how about hooking up a microworm culture?  (Mashed potatoes are my food
source for the yeast.)

I suppose the microworms might decrease the production, but rigged up just
like a soda bottle, there might still be enough pressure to still create
bubbles.  And if a few little worms crawl up the airline tubing, it's just a
free snack.

Anyone ever tried this, or have reasons why it wouldn't work?  Too small a
container to create enough pressure?  (My culture's in a medium-sized
gladware.)

Alysoun McLaughlin