Re: A .madagascariensis

> From: Michael Eckardt <mike at odg_com>
> Subject: A .madagascariensis

> 1. how can I tell when the seeds are mature?
> 2. will it hurt the seeds if I keep the fruit attached to the stalk above
> the water? Or will they dry out and become useless?
> 3. what's the easiest/best way to collect the seeds?
> 4. in your experience, does it matter if I plant the fruit with the seeds
> inside, or do I have to strip the fruit, get at the seeds and plant them?

If A. madagascariensis is like other Aponogetons, when the seeds are
ripe they will float away from the stalk and a few days later shed their
outer shell and drop to the bottom.  When the are floating around would
be a good time to collect them for planting.  Just keep them in water
till they begin to sink.

Ed Hengel
AGA