Re: mussels

I have kept mussels in my tanks for years (with and without plants). I
have not had any problems with them. They bury themselves in the gravel
and sand and only emerge occasionally. I have one mussel that is at
least 3 year old. One thing that I find interesting is that they come
out of the gravel to die. I have had a few die and they emerged from the
gravel and began slowly opening until I could see their internal organs
(took a couple days). Any time I dig around in my substrate, I find
mussels which I always put on top of the substrate to make sure they are
still alive. They always dig back in a matter of minutes. I don't know
how beneficial they are to my planted tank, but I enjoy having a variety
of creatures even if I can't always see them.

Richard Hostler
Product Information Editor
PC Connections
(603) 423-2234