Potassium - How is it used in a tank?

Hi All,

I'm using the PMDD regime and am dosing KNO3 separately while I zero in on the
corrrect dosage.  After adding 40 ml (1 tablespoon/500 ml) to a 60 gallon
tank, nitrates are back down  to 2 ppm from 8 just after the dose 24 hours
ago.  Meanwhile I'm dosing K2SO4 in combination with the micro-nutrient
components, about 6 drops a day.  Concerned that I am under-dosing potassium,
I added a pinch of the K2SO4 granules directly to the tank.  What is the
danger of potassium overdosing, and what else besides plants and algae use it?

Tom