Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #536

Andy Dilbert wrote:

> Steve Pushak wrote:
> > I think the best way for beginners to start is to follow the
> > instructions for a single method precisely and use whatever equipment
> > and fertilizers are recommended for that method.
>
> Would Jim Kelley's method still qualify as one of these methods?  I haven't
> been on the APD for a while, so I'm wondering if any new info has come up
> that shows vermiculite to be bad.

That's a pretty good method and it works well if your water has enough
calcium etc. Vermiculite itself is fine for growing plants but it tends
to be fluffy and come up with plant roots. That's my only objection to
it. I think regular clay is just as good or better and doesn't create a
fluffy substrate. (which I personally don't like)
--
Steve Pushak                              Vancouver, BC, CANADA

Visit "Steve's Aquatic Page"      http://home.infinet.net/teban/