best way for beginners

I think the best way for beginners to start is to follow the
instructions for a single method precisely and use whatever equipment
and fertilizers are recommended for that method. This does NOT
necessarily mean starting off with high lighting. You are MUCH better
off to start with moderate lighting, 2 watts/gal than say +4 watts/gal.

If you read up on George's page and it says you can skip using substrate
heating coils, then fine. I suggest you stick with one method and not
try to mix and match.

If you "start off simple" and you don't know what it is that you can do
without you are likely to omit an essential nutrient. All of the macro
nutrients are important although some are supplied by the fish. The ones
you need to be sure of are potassium, calcium, magnesium, CO2 and the
trace minerals. Nitrogen, phosphorus and sulpher are often sufficient
from fish feeding although occasionally it may be necessary to add
nitrogen.

Steve Pushak                              Vancouver, BC, CANADA

Visit "Steve's Aquatic Page"      http://home.infinet.net/teban/