Re: SAEs

> Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 23:38:47 -0400
> From: krandall at world_std.com
>
> to be preferred.  I wonder if you even _find_ the 6" long "whales" that we
> have in our aquariums in the wild.  My big older ones pick a perch, and sit

Hugh M. Smith (the "Smith" in Crossocheilus siamensis (Smith)) says in
his "Freshwater Fishes of Siam, or Thailand" that "Local fishermen ...
say it is good to eat and that it gets no larger than the type,
which is 13.8 cm long."

13.8 cm is 5.4 inches, and so it reaches about the same lenght in
wild as in our tanks.  (And my 9-year-old and about 14 cm long SAE,
Galaxy, sends his greetings to your "whales", Karen!)

Liisa