Re: Recycling Bulbs

[Big snip]
>I wonder how many reefkeepers have actually bothered to do a
>spectral analysis of their 12-month-old bulbs rather than follow old
>wives' tales and speculations about bulb life... yeah, I know, probably
>about the same as the number of plant people who've done it. :)
>    - Erik

Hi Erik,

Thanks for your opinion.  Actually, on one of the reef keeping lists Dr.
Sanjay Joshi (an manufacturing engineer from Penn State) and one of his
friends (I forget his name offhand) who works for Licor (the makers of
light measuring equipment, and are the base machines that Dana Riddle &
Richard Harker, reef aquarists & PAR researchers) are working on a paper
(for the hobbyist) on the intensity & spectrum of MH & PC bulbs, new & old
(12 months to 2 years old).  I know that they have tested various MH bulbs
(150/175/250/400 watt bulbs at 5500/6000/6500/10000/14000/20000 kelvin
rating) as well as PC's (55/96 watt 6750/7100 kelvin).  I don't think that
they are close to publishing the report but when the article comes out,
I'll post the address here.

Ciao,
Victor Eng					Vancouver, British Columbia