Re: Hydrochloric Acid or Another way of Lowering pH

> Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 01:39:27 EDT
> From: MarkyTkd at aol_com
> Subject: Hydrochloric Acid or Another way of Lowering pH
>
> I remembered that someone had mentioned using Muratic (Hydrochloric Acid) to
> lower pH. I believe it was Wright. Where do I get this acid and how to I add
> it? I have tried peat, pH down, CO2 injection, adding about 10 gallons of RO
> water to my 100 gallon tank (making it 90 gallons of tap water and 10 gallons
> of RO water), and none have worked. I might see a drop of .1 or so but by the
> next day, it is gone. I have a pH of 7.4 and I need it around 6.8. My fish
> start losing color when the water is alkaline. Does anyone have a way of
> lowering pH?
>
> Mark

I was one of those who posted re HCl. Muriatic acid is used by Pool
Companies as well as Masons to clean brick and concreate, as such it is
really delute HCL (20 degrees Baume or about 31.5%).

It is available through hardware stores or pools centers.

--
Ric Cooney, N3BRB
rcooney at bcpl_net