Re: soft water and low buffering capacity

Drew Grant asked....

>I am concerned about my soft, very soft water and low buffering capacity,
>and was wondering if others out there also think I should be concerned.
> My in-tank Tetra tests run GH 3, KH 1.5. (which is generally consistent
>with what's coming out of the tap; the muni water report logs "hardness"
>at (avg) 65.56 mg/l CaCO3 & "alkalinity" at (avg) 34.27 mg/l CaCO3).
>Should I be concerned about the low buffering capacity/very soft water to
>the point where I should adjust it?

You are right on the edge, but I wouldn't be overly concerned,
especially since you aren't adding CO2. The KH and dH values
of my raw water are very similar to yours. In tanks with fast
plant growth I add calcium chloride, magnesium sulphate, and
sometimes baking soda. From your description your tank would
appear to be moderately stocked with average plant growth. Just
do your weekly 1/3 water changes keeping an eye on the pH.

Regards,

--
Dave Whittaker
ac554 at FreeNet_Carleton.ca