Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #518

can you please remove from the mailing list

>From owner-aquatic-plants at actwin_com Wed Sep 16 13:03:27 1998
>Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 15:48:01 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Aquatic-Plants-Owner at actwin_com (Aquatic Plants Digest)
>To: Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com
>Subject: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #518
>Sender: Aquatic-Plants-Owner at actwin_com
>

>Aquatic Plants Digest  Wednesday, September 16 1998  Volume 03 : Number
518

>In this issue:
>
>	pump cavitation
>	causes of algae growth
>	Re: pH and the uptake of CO2
>	CO2, pH, KH and alkalinity - limitations
>	e-mail
>	Re: Graingers?
>	Re: MERCURY VAPOUR
>	red-rust color algae
>	Re: Glass
>	Re:  Pump cavitation
>	Re: DIy glass aquariums
>	RO water/Tap water
>
>See the end of the digest for information on unsubscribing from the
>Aquatic Plants mailing list and on how to retrieve back issues.

>Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 02:18:53 -0700
>From: Steve Pushak <teban at powersonic_bc.ca>
>Subject: pump cavitation
>
>Cavitation never occurs on the outlet of a pump. The symptom of
>cavitation is noise, not bubbles. Still, leaks in the pump housing
might
>allow air to leak in. Checking for plugged input is a good maintenance
>habit to get into.
>
>Steve
>
>------------------------------
>
>Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 02:40:24 -0700
>From: Steve Pushak <teban at powersonic_bc.ca>
>Subject: causes of algae growth
>
>> Black hair like algae this is black/bluish belongs to the hair algae
>> family.  This is usually caused by a compacted bottom,
>
>I don't see how a compacted substrate could have anything at all to do
>with algae growth. This sounds like pure fancy. The primary CAUSE of
>hair algae growth, is introducing it into your aquarium. It will grow
>whenever conditions are favourable to it which is often a surplus of
>dissolved nutrients, in particular chelated iron and soluble
phosphates.

>If you have been unfortunate enough to get "black brush" algae, (furry
>short tufts) you can discourage the growth by keeping pH below 7. Its a
>marine algae and flourishes at high pH. Also, SAEs are effective at
>eating it. Removing affected plant leaves will help as will regular
>water changes and maintaining sufficient and proper fertilization for
>vigorous plant growth. See the Sears and Conlin paper on the Krib under
>fertilizers.
>
>> to much fish
>> food, over fertilization, dead and decaying matter on the bottom.
All
> [...]
>Steve_Amor at eol_ieaust.org.au
>
>Why not check out my WEb Page? Just point your browser at:
>http://www.ozemail.com.au/~dianeamor
>
>------------------------------
>
>Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 03:01:34 -0700
>From: Steve Pushak <teban at powersonic_bc.ca>
>Subject: CO2, pH, KH and alkalinity - limitations
>
>You can only use the pH charts to estimate CO2 concentration where the
>only contribution to alkalinity is from carbonate/bicarbonate. If there
>is peat, black water extract, wood, humins, significant organic matter
>or soil, or other acids and bases in your tap water, the charts are not
>very accurate. Also, the CO2 test kits will also be affected by those
>acids (and bases). If the KH is rather high and the humins are fairly
>low, they can approximate it.
>
>IMHO, you are better off in those situations going strictly by bubble
>count and by observing the daily pH fluctutations.
>
>Steve Pushak                              Vancouver, BC, CANADA
>
>Visit "Steve's Aquatic Page"      http://home.infinet.net/teban/
> for LOTS of pics, tips and links for aquatic gardening!!!
>
>------------------------------
>
>Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 06:50:16 -0700
>From: "Steven G. Friedman, M.D." <sfried at nshs_edu>
>Subject: e-mail
>
>How do we get the answers you provided to the questions that have been
>posted?
>
>Thank you.
>
>------------------------------
>
>Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 10:48:01 -0500
>From: George Slusarczuk <yurko at warwick_net>
>Subject: Re: Graingers?
>
>(snip)
> Four foot T-8 lamps cost $2.00 each at home depot and the ballasts
>> are $40.00 each from graingers http://www.graingers.com.
>
>Hello Paul.
>
>All I get at that "graingers" website is advertising for a website! Are
>you certain that it is a hardware/electrical store?
>
>Best,
>
>George S
>
>------------------------------
>
>Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 10:34:56 -0500
>From: "John W. Lemons III" <jlemons at myriad_net>
>Subject: Re: MERCURY VAPOUR
>
>> are $40.00 each from graingers http://www.graingers.com. A major cost
of

>Thats:   http://www.grainger.com/
>
>------------------------------
>
>Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 11:43:20 EDT
>From: Piabinha at aol_com
>Subject: red-rust color algae
>
>will anything eat the red-rust colored algae that is growing in my
anubias?
>this is in my 29 gallon tank, which is the only tank with no
algae-eating
>fish.
>
>thanks.
>
>tsuh yang
>
>------------------------------
>
>Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 13:33:53 -0230
>From: "J. Daniels" <jdaniels at servco_nf.net>
>Subject: Re: Glass
>
>>  I came into this thread late so maybe this has already been discused
but, I've been looking all over for information about making DIY glass
aquariums and haven't been able to find anything. Bookstore, library,
LFS no one has been of anyhelp. I will try looking under material
sciences, but i also need to know about framing, and sealing. Can anyone
be of any help. Any info would be appreciated. THanks,

>>                                             Ri
>>     Hey-  by the way i tried looking at many web pages but to no
avail. I wonder if i didn't just miss it? The web is a big place.

> [...]
>>>>
>Cavitation never occurs on the outlet of a pump. The symptom of
>cavitation is noise, not bubbles. Still, leaks in the pump housing
might
>allow air to leak in. Checking for plugged input is a good maintenance
>habit to get into.
>
>Steve<<<
>
>Gee, thanks for setting me straight on this Steve.  Maybe you could
>explain to me what's happening when I get a lot of bubbles in the
return
>line of my Iwaki pumps when I restrict the flow at the input of the
>pump.  They're amazingly quiet while this is going on. You might also
>explain why the manufacturers of pumps warn against restricting the
flow
>at the input of a pump because it causes cavitation which can damage
the
>impeller.
>
>I was under the impression that the restricted flow caused the water to
>vaporize due to the low pressure created.
>
>Best regards,
>Don
>
>------------------------------
>
>Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 11:04:05 -0700 (PDT)
>From: David Lyle Robinson <robinson at ichips_intel.com>
>Subject: Re: DIy glass aquariums
>
>> Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 18:29:59 -0500 > From: R & R Fahnestock
<brickrd at swbell_net>
>> Subject: Re: DIy glass aquariums
>>
>>  I came into this thread late so maybe this has already been discused
>> but, I've been looking all over for information about making DIY
glass
>> aquariums and haven't been able to find anything. Bookstore, library,
>> LFS no one has been of anyhelp. I will try looking under material
>> sciences, but i also need to know about framing, and sealing. Can
anyone
>> be of any help. Any info would be appreciated. THanks,
>>
>>                                             Ri
>>     Hey-  by the way i tried looking at many web pages but to no
avail.
>> I wonder if i didn't just miss it? The web is a big place.
>
>There is a short article on how to do this on my discus web site.
>The direct link is:
>http://www.ee.pdx.edu/~davidr/discus/articles/DIYtanks.html
>
>It is not a comprehensive article, but is still useful enough to get
>you started.
>
>Regards,
>David Robinson                          The Discus Page
>David.Robinson at intel_com                http://www.ee.pdx.edu/~davidr/

>Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 13:25:29 -0500
>From: "Daniel Hawley" <dhawley at ibm_net>
>Subject: RO water/Tap water
>
>I have been using RO water for over a year because of the poor water
quality
>here in Waco, Texas. I have been adding Kents RO Right, Dupla KH-Bilder
and
>Duplagan to bring my KH to about 4 or 5. I have been considering adding
Waco