Price for fluorescent lamp ballast

If you shop around, you can probably find an electronic ballast for four,
32W T8 lamps for a bit less than $40.  Here in Hawaii, where we usually pay
much higher prices because everything has to be shipped to us in the middle
of the Pacific, you can get such a ballast made by Magnetek for $29 from
WESCO (Westinghouse Electric Supply Co. or something like that).  This is
the price that a non-contractor pays.  I assume an electrical contractor
would pay even less.

Is there a particular reason why people are suggesting Grainger as a source
for ballasts?

If there isn't a WESCO nearby, you can try GE Supply or whoever your local
electrical supplier is.