Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #515

Hello,

Black hair like algae this is black/bluish belongs to the hair algae
family.  This is usually caused by a compacted bottom, to much fish
food, over fertilization, dead and decaying matter on the bottom.  All
in all it's an excessive nitrate and/or low o2 levels in the tank
flourishes it's growth.  As for suggestions, do a partial water change,
change the filter, increase o2 in the tank (a small bubble bar works
wonders), introduce red ramshorn snails, japanese algae blittering
(phodeus sericeus) or sagittaria in the tank, and clean the algae off of
the plants as it will eventually kill the plant, lower temp to idealy
about 77°F is also effective

Hope this helps!!

Ed