Re: Amazon Swords in new tank

> Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 22:42:24 -0700
> From: PSE <pse1 at ix_netcom.com>
> Subject: Re: Amazon Swords in new tank

I have set up a new 125 gal tank currently with 160 watts of Vita-Lite
+/-5000K tubes on 12 hours /day, 85 degrees F, PH 6.5 ammonia and
nitrites low.  It is intended to house discus once it is mature.  I
planted 3 large Amazon swords, some crypts, hygrophila, hair grass, and
some narrow lwafed swords 2 weeks ago.

> All are doing well except 2 of the large swords, on which the new leaves are virtually transparent and appear to lack all body, green coloring etc. I have also added some plant fertilizer, and am also adding c02,  I put 8 guppies in to start the tank off - 5 remain.
>
> Can anyone suggest the reason for this?
>
> Peter Elson

Peter,

I've been chasing this similar problem for about two months. The pH you
suggested is just at the low end for an Amazon Sword. My pH has been
ranging even lower, hovering in the 4.7 to 5.5 range. Same thing
happened however, very thin, frail looking leaves, almost opaque. I too
have been fertilizing with PMDD, though I have cut back as of late.

My solution .... I removed them to another tank until I isolate the
problem. I believe mine may be linked to the types of orniment which are
both lowering my pH (possibly iron) and increasing the hardness.

In addition, the temperature of your tank may be a little high. 82
degrees C is the recommended max though I personally don't believe 85 is
the problem since mine is a steady 80.

Jason Daniels