Removing Aquarium Hood - OK?

I tried something today, and so far, I'm amazed with the results.
I removed the two hoods from the top of my 55g tank, and doubled
the output of my 4' dual 40W bulb fixure!  It's amazing how much
brighter the tank is--the glass on the hoods don't even look
that dirty.  I assume the increased light will make my plants
much, much happier.

My question is:  Is removing the hoods a recommended practice?
Will my fish jump out? (barbs, tetras, angels, loaches)  Also,
will the increased moisture near the bulbs corrode anything in
the near future?  Thanks!

--Matt
tparnell at oeonline_com