Re: Mycorrhizae

>Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 17:39:41 -0400
>From: Bjorn Straube <straube at digital_net>
>Subject: Mycoorrhizae
>
>Seems to me, that if there is a
>relationship, whether endo or ecto, most people don't allow for the
>introduction of such a fungus (clean gravel, clean sand, clean peat
>etc.).  Might solve some of the nutrient problem.  For instance supply
>things in a way that algae can't use it, but the fungus can (and thus
>the plants).

I have a friend who grows aquatic plants outdoors in the tropics and each
time he repots he includes a good handful of the old "spent" substrate mixed
through the new mix. Besides the beneficial bacteria and mycorrhizae he also
sustains a good population of a type of tropical tubificid worm that
probably helps also.

Regards,
Bruce.

Bruce Hansen, A.N.G.F.A., Advancing Australian Aquatics.