Snail problem? What snail problem?

I know some people disagree with me, but I just don't think of snails
as a problem.  I look at a tank with snails and think, "now there's a
healthy aquarium."  Why be offended when nature's little janitors decide
that your sump needs some polishing?

Actually, it'd be offended as an aquatic gardener if I *couldn't* keep
snails in my aquariums.  It's like having a garden without bees and
butterflies...but perhaps a better analogue would be ladybugs. Now, if
you've got the *wrong* kind of snails, *then* you may have a problem.

But if you insist on eradicating the best macroscopic detrivore in your
microcosm, let me get off my soap-box and suggest something...and I'll
be the first to admit that too many snails in your garden can be
frustrating.

Try putting a couple of clown loaches in your sump (if it's big enough).
If your sump is too small, put them in your tank and place a small-mesh
screen on all intakes to your sump (and scoop out the snails currently
there).

Carlos E. Munoz
<cmunoz at crystal_cirrus.com>

PS:  And no, I don't brake for snails. :)