Re: Using pH Down for CO2 fertilization?

My understanding is that plants have a very hard time fixing co2 at >pH 8.
My tank, as yours, was at pH 8.6, and my plants didn't look real good.
I switched to RO water, pH 7, and the plants perked right up and started
perling.  Currently, my pH is 6.8, and bubbles stream off the leaves.  Part
of this is probably because of the lower pH.  You can get RO water pretty
cheap (for such a small tank).  Should be about $0.25/gal or so.  Add it
slowly, as you don't want to shock the beta.  Maybe a 10% water change
every day for a few weeks.

Watch your hardness too, don't let it dip too low.  You can keep it up by
adding a little tap water, if the shells don't do it for you.