Re: Fungus Gnats

Sounds like fungus gnats [Sciarid Flies] to me, as already said the flies
are harmless to your plants but I would remove them from your tank before
they lay anymore eggs! I grow a lot of carnivorous plants and these flies
love the damp/wet compost some of these grow in.

The larvae are not normally a problem on larger plants  but they will eat
root hairs and the roots of seedlings.

Most insecticides will kill them or traps can be used for the flies, don't
know how you would go about that in a tank though.

Steve.