re: giant hygro and roots on the stems

Recently Roxanne Bittman commented that H stricta (or H corymbosa) tend
to loose the lower leaves and develop roots when it is low on nutrients.
Plants often develop a high ratio of roots to shoots (and leaves) when
they are low on nutrients. By growing more roots, the plant is better
able to access nutrients from the substrate or by capturing dust and
detritus in the water roots. This is a genetic adaptation caused by
natural selection (the trait of responding to nutrient stress by growing
more roots) and I suspect that its very common in plants.

BTW, I agree that this plant grows fast and huge and requires a lot of
nutrients. It also does well in an emersed situation.
--
Steve Pushak                              Vancouver, BC, CANADA

Visit "Steve's Aquatic Page"      http://home.infinet.net/teban/