CO2 effectiveness

I recently added a gold nugget pleco (L018) to my 29g planted tank.  After
observing what appeared to be respiratory distress on the part of this
animal, I added some aeration from an airpump and airstone.  I have been
running two DIY CO2 2-liter bottles to this tank, and the only circulation
was from a HOT magnum set up not to agitate the surface of the water.

Since adding the aeration, I have set up a simple bell CO2 reactor on the
far side of the tank from the pump.  Only about a third of the surface of
the water seems agitated by the airpump.

Is the water retaining any CO2 or am I just fooling myself?  Can anyone
think of a way to improve what I have done?

TIA

Andy