Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #490

> Subject: Alternathera cardinalis?
>
> Greetings,
>
> I came across a listing on [Redacted]
> concerning a plant they had labeled as
> Alternanthera cardinalis. The photo was beautiful, the plant has dark
> green upper leaves and a bright red on the underside. Since they have
> Alternanthera reineckii listed, I don't believe it is the same
> species. In any case, does anyone know anything about this plant? Is
> it a true aquatic, or is it, like Alternanthera sessilis, a plant of
> which to be wary?

Looks similar to A. reineckii, based on leaf and stem size/shape (as
does lilacina), doesn't look like sessilis.  My guess is they're both
vars. of reineckii. It's probably OK in a tank, given enough light &
nutrients.

  - Erik

---
Erik D. Olson						amazingly, at my own domain.
erik at thekrib.com (fails? try eriko at wrq.com)