SAEs weak

I have a problem in my planted tank.  50 gallon tall, heavily planted, 7 3"
SAEs.  Until a few days ago they cavorted freely around the tank.

About 36 hours ago my partner asked where are the fish?  I looked around
and could not find them.  Since it was late at night, I decided to wait for
the AM.  When I looked then, I found them huddled on the bottom in a corner
in the back.  I checked the pH and it had dropped from its normal 6.1-6.3
to 5.4 or so.  I started adding NaHCO3 slowly, and brought the pH back up
to its usual range over the course of six hours.

I checked nitrate (15-20ppm) and Fe (none, I believe the plants have soaked
it all up).

The SAEs resumed their activity (mostly), but one may be missing.  By last
night they were back in the corner, despite the pH being normal.  I
couldn't be sure of anything particular being wrong so I did nothing.  This
AM they are still hiding.

I have been adding small amounts of NPK (the plants stopped pearling almost
entirely and were yellowing,  the NPK restored the pearling and
dramatically decreased the yellowing).  Small amounts means a total of 2g
of (NH4)2SO4 and an equal amount of KHPO4 into 200L over the course of a
week (a few mg at a time).   I use Flourish for micronutrients, altho I
fear I may not be using enough (I am using about 2-3 times what the label
calls for).

Any idea what I might have done to my SAEs????

--
FormMaestro                              <http://www.wcf.com>