heaters [WAS: Ways to kill fish]

At 15:48 -0400 8/27/98, "Alysoun McLaughlin" <alysoun.mclaughlin at ncsl_org>
wrote:
>Subject: Ways to kill fish
>
>>Expensive mistake. A real heartbreaker. Don't rely on cheap heaters.
>>Peter O'Dwyer jnr
>>odwyerpw at bluecorp_com
>>www.bluecorp.com
>>

>Actually, I don't think it's the price, but the extra wattage and/or the age
>of the heater.  I had the same nightmare happen once -- adult malawis,
>probably $500-600 worth.  I forget the size of the heater, but it was an
>Ebo-Jager that was a few years old.  Spiked up to 95 degrees, lost all the
>fish.  Now, we only keep heaters that will barely do the job.  So if it
>busts, the temperature can't spike too high.

Amother solution is to use multiple low wattage heaters. If any individual
heater fails it will not cause the temperature rise that a single high
wattage heater would cause. Of course, to get good temperature regulation,
all the heaters must be adjusted to the desired setpoint which is trickier
to accomplish with multiple heaters.

Paul