re: lighting

> I'll comment on one of Peter's lighting questions:  >>>5.  I need 3
> watts per gallon for a plant tank = 375 watts at least.>>>

[snip]

> 2 watts CF lighting per gallon should be plenty of light.

I think this really depends on what else is going on in your tank.

I have a fully planted 55 gallon tank lit with 2W/gal, and populated by three
discus, two clown botias, three ottos, three rams, and a couple of zebra danios.
 Although all fish and plants seem healthy and happy, I have trouble keeping
nitrate levels down, even though I feed a total of 4 frozen 'gumdrops' of food
per day to the fish; really not much for the fish load.

Every day at about 4pm, a shaft of sunlight passes across my tank.  As this
happens, the entire tank suddenly starts pearling and bubbling;  the water looks
positively 'fizzy'.  AFter the light passes, the plants continue to bubble, but
at a MUCH slower pace.  There is almost no bubbling prior to the sunlight.

This reaction, combined with the nitrate buildup, has convinced me that 2W/gal
is not enough for this tank.  It might be sufficient if I had a lighter fish
load.

 - Anthony