Re: comment on lumens (V3 #461)

Thu, 20 Aug 1998 14:42:32 -0700 (MST), Roger Miller wrote:

<snip>
>This difference is because the lumen measure is weighted toward green
>light - the light to which our eyes are most sensitive.  Light of that
>color is near the minimum in the photosynthetic action spectrum.  That
>makes lumens nearly irrelevant to whether or not a light is good for
>growing plants.

Are lumen measurements any more helpful if you are comparing the light
output of two lamps with the same color temperature?

Can anyone supply a reference on how lumens are measured?  I'd like to
understand how it is that "the lumen measure is weighted toward green light"
and what this weighting amounts to.

Regards,
Kim Bryant
smskahj at netacc_net