Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #462

> Richard wrote:
>
> << If I try to buy gravel from a rock and landscaping supplier, what
> kind
> > of problems will I encounter because the gravel is not designed for
> > aquarium use? Also, how can I overcome them?
>   >>

> I am no expert here, but when I set up my 120g tank, I couldn't see
> paying out all that money for 200lbs of aquarium gravel from a LFS.  I
> went to a landscaping /flower company and found 50lb bags of gravel, the
> size and look I wanted--marked Silica.  It looked clean and it cost $3 a
> bag!!!  Unbielvable!  So, I got that, hosed it out well and it has
> worked w/o causing trouble.

When I set up my 70 gal tank, I too didn't want to pay what at the time
would have been $75-$100 for gravel from the lfs.  I went to an aggrigate
supplier and purchades some 1mm-3mm light brown sandblasting gravel.
The tank has been in operation for about 8 months, and so far its
worked very well...

Cost for 100lbs of the stuff was about $6.

Cheers,
John

P.S.  Why in the world does gravel cost so darn much from a lfs?