Re: Parasite problem

Update on the parasite problem...

Gary at the Aquarium Center gave the opposite advice ('sure, your other fish
might have it, but if you raise the temperature that high, you'll stress
them out unnecessarily').  I think we'll probably take his approach, and
treat just the affected fish.

He also said that a temperature hike is only effective against ich, not
worms.  I trust both of these sources implicitly, so I'll just assume
they're both right, and the temperature advice was given to prevent a
secondary ich infection from becoming a problem.  Which I'll deal with if it
shows up.

And the treatment I couldn't remember was Dialox, better known as Clout or
Fluke tabs.

As for the plants, he recommended a potassium permanganate bath, but again,
advised me not to worry about it unless I've got multiple fish with
symptoms.  So I won't.

Of course, now that it's down to 'yes' or 'no', 'agree' or 'disagree', I've
found plenty of references in the archives.  Just another example of why
everybody should be nice to newbies... it's tough to ask a search engine an
open-ended question...

Alysoun McLaughlin
alysoun at planetall_com
Wheaton, Maryland