Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #451

Pete Mohan  wrote:

>>In my experience,
fiberglass will usually absorb water and cloud if not coated in some
way.
Using a gel coat on the fiberglass is another option.  This is what
the outer
"paint" on new boats consists of.  It is sprayed into the mold first.
I have
applied it as a paint on at least one occasion.<<

You absolutely right. New boats are not water proof! <GBG> Actually
what I understand is that they do absorb some water and they do it
through the gel coat! This results in little blisters all over the
bottom of the boat. As I understand the polyester resins are not the
quality they were a 10-15 years ago. It is quite a big and common
problem with fiberglass boats in the last few years.

One of the cures for this is a coat of Epoxy resin OVER the gel coat.
Maybe epoxy paint too but I am not sure. That is one reason I am using
epoxy resin instead of polyester on my tank. One less thing to worry
about.

Jeff <*\\><
"Consider carefully what you hear", he continued "With the measure you
use it, it will be measured to you -- and even more.  Whoever has will
be given more; whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken
from him." Mark 4:24,25
www.airnet.net/kudzu/ "Kudzu's Christian Clipart Collection"