Re: Dead SAEs

> Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 08:37:47 -0400
> From: "Frank I. Reiter" <FIR at istar_ca>
>
> This is only a counter example if O2 and CO2 levels are inversely
> proportional.  I noticed another message a couple digests ago from somebody
> who turns off his CO2 over night after major pruning, apparently based on
> that same idea.

Even though O2 and CO2 levels are NOT inversely proportional, this is still a
"counter example".

As George S. pointed out, fish are not able to respire CO2 with high CO2 levels
the water. Although my knowledge of blood chemistry is spotty, I believe the
hemoglobin in the blood carries both CO2 and O2 molecules; the gills essentially
swap them with the opposite molecules in the water.  So, if the CO2 can't leave
hemoglobin due to the wrong concentration gradient, O2 can't replace it and the
fish asphyxiates. The effect is the same as if there was a low oxygen level in
the water (wrong concentration gradient; no transfer of O2 into the blood).

George Booth in Ft. Collins, Colorado
 Do you want to know how I did it?
  http://www.cco.caltech.edu/~aquaria/AquaticConcepts