Question on nitrate uptake and pH

This question is in my mind for a while.

I know that nitrification (ammonia->nitrite->nitrate) produces
acid and lowers pH.  When plants takes nitrate directly as a form
of nitrogen, does it produce OH- to neutralize the acid?

Now if it does and I use Potassium Nitrate to supplement nitrogen,
Does that mean I am pushing the pH up for the long term?

Practically, it does not affect my tank because I change water weekly.
But it just hits my curiosity bug.

--
Louis Lin             lhclin at aw_sgi.com