re: Karen's question

I'm one of the "lurkers" to whom Karen Randall referred, although I
have made a few posts to the list.  My reasons for getting into the
planted aquarium hobby:

* The challenge.  I had kept aquatic plants in containers in a 55
gal. tank which had an undergravel filter.  Most of the plants grew,
but there wasn't much freedom to create new or natural
appearing layouts.

* I wanted to create a healthy aquarium environment which might
require less maintenance.  I had been tearing down my UGF tanks every
year.  More on setup later.

* I wanted to be able to use more plant species and have more tank
decorating options.  This has come true for me.  I started using
many of the techniques that are discussed on this list and my plants
are growing very well and I've had few failures.  Being able to place
plants in natural appearing ways is much more attractive than using
plants in containers.

*  An unanticipated benefit is that my wife became more interested in
the tanks.  She has a very good eye for artistic arrangement and has
been a big help.

I'd like to thank some of the "regulars" on the list for their
advice.  Last winter I asked for information about Ozelot Swords.
The LFS had some, but they seemed expensive.  Several people wrote
back and encouraged me to buy one.  I did, and now I sell small
Ozelot Swords to the LFS.  Also, on the advice from some list
"regulars" I bought a Python water changer and now I wonder why I
waited so long.

And now, some words about tank setup.  Last January I set up a 55
gal. and a 75 gal. as plant tanks.  The 55 has 120w of light and the
75 has 160w.  For filtration, the 55 has a Renaissance model 20
cannister filter and the 75 has a Renaissance model 30.  Both have
DIY CO2.  The only difference in the 2 tanks is the way in which I
installed the substrate.  In the 55 I first put in about 1/2" of
gravel followed by about 1/2" of potting soil, followed by about 2 -
2 1/2" of mixed Flourite and gravel.  The 75 has the same substrate
ingredients and same substrate depth.  The only difference is that I
didn't first put in the 1/2" layer of gravel; I first put in the
potting soil followed by the Flourite/gravel mixture.  In the 75 the
potting soil is now oozing up through the gravel to the top of the
substrate and I have to vacuum it out. This hasn't happened in the
55.  If anyone has any reasons for why this happened, I'd like to
hear from them.

This turned out to be longer that I'd intended.  Thanks for your
patience.

Brad Grenard
Otterbein, IN