Re: Re: Pumice

>Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 21:37:47 EDT
>From: IDMiamiBob at aol_com
>Subject: Re: Pumice

>> >garden variety sphagnum, and get the same substrate for less money
(call it
>>  >Poor Man's Amano Substrate- or PMAS)
Eheheh !! :-)))

>If it is low in organics, it won't be useful.  The acidity ( I keep
Sorry I didn't explain correctly myself here. What I meant is that, as peat
comes from _partially_ decomposed plant material, you should go for a type
of peat that less labile to decay as possible.

>>  But you should add a NPK fertilizer too (possibly as low as you can in P).
>That goes without saying, as part of any fertilizer regime.
I meant into the substrate, indeed! Use it in small doses. Which type of
NPK fertilizer do you want to use in the substrate?

>>  The small size I used is 5-8mm diameter in size.
>
>That's like 1/8 inch.  Are you sure that's Amano's idea of "small"?
Wrong conversion!! 5mm is 1/5 inch and 8mm is more than 1/3 inch.

Luca