This discussion of Rotala macrandra and Calcium chloride isinteresting. I also add

This discussion of Rotala macrandra and Calcium chloride is interesting.  I also add
Calcium chloride to my 40gal tank (1/2 tsp. to 10gal R/O water at changes), but my
R. macrandra is not growing that well.  Everything else is, so I was wondering if the
conductivity of the water was the problem for this plant. (I also occaisionally add
sodium bicarbonate for buffering).  Thus the sodium and chloride ions would increase
conductivity, possibly adversely affecting certain plants.  However, it looks as if people
have varied results.

Last week I started to replace my calcium chloride and sodium bicarbonate additions
with calcium carbonate (via vitamin tabs).  Oddly, the ROMA looks better already,
though this could be coincidence.

Roxanne Bittman