Re: NA native plants

>Can anyone give me a list of native North American Aquatic Plants? I
>am thinking of setting up a new tank I am going to build with native
>fish. I was thinking that it would be nice to just use native plants
>with the fish if I could locate enough variety to make an attractive
>tank. I searched the Archives but didn't find anything.

The definitive works for the SE US are:

Godfrey, R.K., J.W. Wooten. 1981. Aquatic and Wetland Plants of
Southeastern United States. Dicotyledons. 933 pp.  University of Georgia
Press, Athens.

Godfrey, R.K., J.W. Wooten. 1979. Aquatic and Wetland Plants of
Southeastern United States. Monocotyledons. 712 pp. University of
Georgia Press, Athens.

If you opt not to peruse all 1,645 pages of these tomes, then a partial
list of common aquarium plants native to NA would be:
Sagittaria platyphylla
Sagittaria subulata
Vallisneria americana
Cabomba aquatica
Bacopa caroliniana
Ludwigia sp.
Ceratophyllum demersum
Fontinalis sp.
Echinodorus cordifolia
Echinodorus tenellus
Didiplis diandra
Eleocharis sp.
Isoetes sp.
Nymphoides aquatica
Hydrocotyle sp.
Lemna sp.
Mayaca fluviatilis

This is not a complete list, and I am sure I have omitted someones
favorite plant.  These are the ones you are most likely to find at your
LFS.

Regards,

Mark