Re: CO2 levels and nasty bugs

Steve Amor wrote:

[snip]
> I recently tested my pH for the first time and found it to be >7.4 (the
> max. my kit goes up to!)  This corresponds to my tap water too.

A pH of 7.4 isn't necessarily a problem for your tank.

[snip]

> I took the following samples:
>
> 	pH 7.4+
> 	Carbonate Hardness 120ppm (does this equal 6.7dH???)
> 	Phosphates	1mg/l
> 	Iron negligible

120 ppm is 6.7 German degrees.

> How does my water hardness compare?

Your water is well buffered.

> Is KH the same as dH.

"KH" is alkalinity.  I think the way that you're using it, "dH" is a unit
of measure that can be used to measure alkalinity.  So they aren't the
same, any more than "distance" and "meters" are the same thing.

> From an old
> table that I found pH vs KH, I figure my CO2 level is around 8ppm - is
> this correct?

I can't see your table from here, but it sounds about right to me.

> What do I have to do to be able to increase my CO2 levels?

You probably don't need to increase your CO2 levels.  8 ppm is fine.

As I think you found out, lowering (or trying to lower) pH with a
non-carbonate buffer doesn't permanently change your CO2 concentration.
If you really feel that you need higher CO2, then tune your DIY CO2
system to get a higher CO2 yield, or find a better way to get CO2
dissolved in your water. You don't really describe in this post what
you're using for a CO2 reactor.  Lots' of folks get good performance by
bubbling the CO2 into a powerhead.  You also might be able to increase the
CO2 concentration by reducing the loss of CO2 from your tank by reducing
turbulence or removing aeration.

And in another post...

> In Sydney, Australia this last week there has been a reported 'giardia'
> outbreak in the cities' water supply.  To the non-technical water people
> like myself this is a nasty little germ that lives inside animal
> intestines and makes people sick.  Australia (unfortunately) has no
> standards on levels of giardia (and other, similarly nasty bugs) in their
> water supplies, only 'guidelines'.
>
> My point is, are there similar 'nasties' found in tap water around the
> world that would infect our freshwater fish and plants?  If so, is there
> anything we can do about it, or do we just hope that we never get any of
> them?

Giardia is a problem in lots of places.  Cryptosporidium is another nasty
bug that can get into water supplies and parasitize humans.  These are
in addition to the more "traditional" water-borne pathogens like typhoid
that we've been worrying about for a long time.  To my knowledge none of
these human pathogens effects plants or fish.  As far as fish are
concerned, I think there are a number of parasites or pathogens that can
be carried in the water supply.  Columnaris bacteria and ich come to mind.
I don't know of any water borne disease or parasite of aquarium plants.

Roger Miller

Who is sometimes glad his water supply comes from deep ground water.