little, nasty bugs in our water supplies

In Sydney, Australia this last week there has been a reported 'giardia'
outbreak in the cities' water supply.  To the non-technical water people
like myself this is a nasty little germ that lives inside animal
intestines and makes people sick.  Australia (unfortunately) has no
standards on levels of giardia (and other, similarly nasty bugs) in their
water supplies, only 'guidelines'.

My point is, are there similar 'nasties' found in tap water around the
world that would infect our freshwater fish and plants?  If so, is there
anything we can do about it, or do we just hope that we never get any of
them?

Steve

Any replies, comments or general blurb to Steven Amor:
Steve_Amor at eol_ieaust.org.au

Why not check out my WEb Page? Just point your browser at:
http://www.ozemail.com.au/~dianeamor/home.htm