Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #423

In a message dated 8/2/98 1:17:06 AM Pacific Daylight Time, Aquatic-Plants-
Owner at actwin_com writes:

<< That's my experience as well, although I can provide enough light with lots
 of fluorescent tubes.  I'd love to hear of other people who are growing R.
 macrandra _well_ in low light conditions.  (by well, I mean thick stems,
 full sized leaves and deep Magenta color.  I keep it in a tank with 2w/g
 too, and it has never failed, but the stems are thin, and it is mostly
 green, with just a hint of pink at the top and around the edges)  >>

I have a small patch of R. macrandra (approx. 10 stem plants)  in my 125g
tank.  Although it is a new tank, it is growing very well, quite red and nice
structure.    I use VHO (350 watts) and CO2 via a pH meter.  It was growing
with the same color and structure in my 55 (with CO2), but just regular 50/50
6500K lights (2 x's 40 watts), but more slowly.  To experiment, I put some
into my 15g with just one 40 watt 50/50 6500K bulb and no CO2.  It is growing
slowly, but not the same intense red color.

Another difference is that the 55 has an underground filter with 1.5 years of
fairly heavy bioload in it, the 15 is cleaned gravel, the 125 is new substrate
(fine gravel, a one inch layer of flourite, and tetra sticks fertilizer).  It
seems that only difference is a good substrate of decayed material and CO2.

Rich