RE: Arcillite

Hi Dave,

I've just set up (2 weeks ago) a 30 gallon tank using Arcillite in
the form of "Profile Aquatic Plant Soil."  I used a 1.5" to 2" layer
of arcillite, covered by a 1-2" layer of sand (0.5-3mm in diameter).

Too early to say much about plant growth, but I can see Hygrophila
polysperma putting down a few roots into the arcillite already, and
some Crypt. wendtii are putting out lots of new leaves.

The package claims this stuff won't cloud water - this is mostly true.
I've had no cloudiness at all upon initial planting and upon moving
a few plants around 1 week later.  But if you put a handful in a tub
of water and stir it up well, the water does cloud up some.  I washed the
grains several times before putting it in the tank, but the water still
wouldn't run off clear after being washed and stirred several times.
Oh well, I don't stir my tanks vigorously.  :)

If you do a search in the APD archives, I think a couple of folks
posted a while back about arcillite.

-Heide
http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~boingy/aquaria.html