Re: Stripped Down Tank

------------------
>Like KC mentioned...when you saw the fishes gulping for air, I think it's
>related to a excess CO2 problem, causing O2 deprivation and sudden
lowering
>of PH. Pls let us know your CO2, PH and KH levels taken at that point in
>time if you had.

Hi Roy,
I don't think it was excess CO 2 because that was kept constant all the
time. PH was at 6.8 but did not measure PH and KH. I think it was a
bacteria bloom from the dead suckers decomposing and a slight over feeding
2 days before. When I saw them gulping, I off the CO 2 and added aeration.

>When fishes die, and after several hours (a day?), fungus attack will set
>in and they will be covered with these white velvety stuff....It may not
>have necessarily caused its death, but a consequence after death

No, they were covered white and still alive with clamped fins and inactive.

>When do u mean 'fell sick again'....? Are they gasping for air (oxygen)
>again...because of too much CO2?

CO 2 was already off and when I said sick, they were covered with Velvety
white stuff and inactive.

>Where the Mollies dead, and then got covered by white stuff...or were
>they alive, and swimming around with the white stuff...????

No they were not dead, and was swimming but not active. In fact, after the
first day, I managed to save all my fishes. Even when they were all white,
I put them in fresh water with Malachite Green/salt and within one hour,
they'd be fine with the white stuff gone, and eager to eat again... strange.

Thanks for replying. Any other ideas? Anyway. I have re-set up my tank.
Question. Will my plants harbour any pathogens or bacteria after a 10 min
potassium permanganate dip and will my fishes be safe to go back into the
new tank after if matures! Answers please.

Kenny Song
Penang, Malaysia
Sent from Newton UMP2K using
Netstrategy's Enroute v1.4.3b1