Lighting

Dennis wrote:

>Sorry I never saw a triple myself either.  But I use a formula of gallons
>times 24 = watt hours.  Therefore for the 55 gallon you need 1320 watt
>hours and dividing that by 80 watts you get 16.5 hours per day.  This is
>only a rough number and needs to be adjusted down if you have effecient
>tubes like the chroma 50's or a few others.

Everything I have read suggests that most tropical plants stop
photosynthesizing when the photoperiod is extended beyond their "normal"
day length. (12-14 hours)  After this time, most higher plants stop, but
algae is quite capable of going and going like the Energizer Bunny.
Lengthening the photoperiod beyond about 14 hours does not make up for lack
of intensity.

>I'm using doubles on my 29's and 30 gallon tanks.  Thing is they use
>20 watt tubes only so were back to the formula.  But even with the formuula
>I find that running 14 to 16 hours a day seems to be almost ideal rather than
>the 18 hours from the formula.  18 hours just gives to much algea for
>my desire.

Kind of proves the point.

Karen Randall
Aquatic Gardeners Association