Lighting

>karen,
>
>for lighting, you suggested the 2 watts per gallon formula.  that means
>that a double-40 watt fixture is not enough for a 55 gallon tank.  where
>does one get a triple light fixture?

Actually, I suggest 2-3 w/g.  My personal preference is for 3 w/g as long
as you can also supply supplemental CO2.  It lets you grow almost anything.
 In many water supplies, at 2 w/g, you'll be limited to low-moderate light
species.  The flip side is you can probably get away without supplemental CO2.

I don't think there are any 3 bulb fixtures, you'd probably have to make
your own.  OTOH, shop lights are cheap, and two 2 bulb shop lights fit fine
on top of a 55G, and will give you plenty of light.

>for 10 and 20 (or 29) gallons, the only fixtures available are the single
>15 and 20 watt ones, respectively.  what are the other options?  are
>there double fixtures for such tank sizes?

They difinitely make double bulb fixtures for 20 and 29G tanks, I'm not
sure about 10's.  I light 20G tanks with 2 20W bulbs, either 2 single
fixtures or a double.  The 29's do better with a single _and_ a double.
For me, it's not worth spending a lot of money on lighting a 10.  You can
grow a lot of low light plants at 1.5 w/g, and those are the ones I use in
a 10G.  Besides, low light plants are usually slower growing, and that's a
good thing in a 10G tank.<g>

Karen Randall
Aquatic Gardeners Association