Harvesting exotics

>Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 11:03:07 -0700
>From: Dave Gomberg <gomberg at wcf_com>
>Subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #403
>
>I would hope those doing plant control might ask us for help in
controlling
>exotics.   One thing I could suggest is that plants that are desired to
>reduce or eliminate and which are suitable for fodder might be harvested
>and fed to food animals nearby to reduce the nutrients in the water to a
>more natural level.
>
>Let's offer our knowledge to help REALLY solve the problem instead of
>wringing our hands and criticizing legislators.   Whaddya all think?

That's an interesting question.  I wonder how many of the exotics that we
(collective humanity) have introduced could have application as fodder for
certain types of animals.  This could be an interesting study and one that
might pay for aquatic harvesting.  After all, Hydrilla is known to grow
upwards of 3" per day in direct sunlight.  This is a pretty good ratio when
you consider the cost of livestock feed.  I have a feeling that the
nutrient value is somewhat less than grain, but it might still be good
enough for filler during those expensive summer months.  Have there been
any studies in regards to the applicability of aquatic plants for livestock
fodder?

--
David W. Webb
Live-Foods list administrator