Re:Re:Re: To much light

Onis Cogburn wrote:

> I still have some
>   questions and hopefully you or other members of the list can answer them.

It's my policy to never answer a question completely. :).

[snip]

> the bulbs I have purchased have all had a similar spectrum and fell into
> the 5000K group.

I think the problem (if there is one) is with lights substantially under
5000K.

[snip]

> Option 1 would be the classic method of building a rich substrate.
> Maintenance would entail
> replacing nutrients in the substrate as they are depleated but refraining
> from addint additional
> nutrients to the water column.

OK.  Could be tough.  Anyone master this?
[snip]

> The second approach would seem to be: If it is desirable to feed the plants
> daily and if the
> substrate affects the utalization of the nutrients, this system should be
> based on a sterile
> substrate.  Consistency of the material would be an issue but any organic
> nutrients would be left
> out.

I think this is the optimum aquarium approach.  It works.

I can think of a third approach.  Build the substrate with raw materials
that don't contain a lot of nutrients at the startup, but which can gain
fertility as the substrate matures.

[snip]

>  The only variations
> that I have
>   observed that have affected the growth rate of the algae have been
> cutting the light by 1/2
>   and filter status/water flow rate.

I think you would have to run sans fertilizer for quite a while - say three
weeks to a month - to expect a difference.

[snip]

> I remain stumped.  I bought a big bunch of grass shrimp and added them to
> the tank.  If they
> help great, if not they are a good snack for the fish.

I kept grass shrimp for a while.  Pretty good scavengers, but I wouldn't
say they were much for eating algae.  Ghost shrimp aren't good algae
eaters either, but they did a better job for me than did grass shrimp.

>  I would appreciate more comments on
> the hypothisis that
> fertilization of the water column is contradictory to a fertalized substrate.

Ditto.

> I have been able to adjust all the measurable nutrient levels with the
> exception of the
> phosphate.  Although not what can be considered high, I have never been
> able to drive it to
> zero.

I'm very suspiscious of our hobby test kits at low concentrations.
Especially the phosphate kits.  I have three nitrate kits that I
occasionally cross compare just to confuse the issue.  They can't reach a
consensus about whether its there or not.

[snip]

> I have never been able to
> keep a system balanced by supplying all nutrients via the substrate so if
> this proves out, I guess
> I am dead!  Many thanks to everyone.

Gee.  Kinda dramatic for an engineer! :).  It sounds like you might want
to look into a dupla-compliant setup.

Roger Miller
In Albuquerque - not as hot as Austin.